Location: New York, NY
Accent Dance NYC is seeking a professional, experienced Black American choreographer to create a new dance work for our company. Choreographers should feel comfortable creating a 10-15 minute work in a 4-8 week time period. Works should be suitable for both youth and adult audiences and we are particularly interested in works with themes of social justice, identity, equity, inclusion, Black American history, and the Black American experience. We invite a wide array of genres; contemporary, ballet, hip hop, tap, jazz, multidisciplinary, and other forms are all welcome.
About the Opportunity:
The creative process will likely begin in spring/summer 2023. The exact schedule and frequency of rehearsals will be determined based on choreographer and dancer availability. The commissioned work will be featured in our arts education programming as well as community events, galas, and concert performances.
Accent Dance NYC will provide:
- Compensation: $3,000 to $5,000 depending on length and complexity of work/experience of choreographer, etc.
- Rehearsal space
- Dancer fees
- Audition space and support (if needed)
- Scheduling support
- A premiere of the work at our 2024 Gala
- Marketing to promote the work’s premiere and any subsequent performances of the work
Eligibility: To be considered, choreographers must:
Identify as Black American
Be based in the NYC-metro area (rehearsals will take place in NYC)
Not be currently enrolled in an undergraduate program
Have at least 2-5 years of professional choreographic experience
How to Apply: Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 21, 2023:
- Short bio
- 2-3 video samples of your past work
- Letter for recommendation
- Brief (approximately 1 page) proposal of the work you would like to create. We understand that your ideas might not be fully developed, but please provide any information that can give us an idea of the work’s scope.
Helpful things to include in your proposal:
- Ideas for music/accompaniment
- Approximate number of dancers
- Possible production needs
- Style of dance
- Influences or sources of inspiration
- Possible themes
Please visit our website to learn about our organization and dancers: https://accent.dance/